[TI-84+ SE] The "-create-app" option creates broken apps

TI-82, TI-83 (plus, silver..), TI-84, TI-85 and TI-86
Visionless

[TI-84+ SE] The "-create-app" option creates broken apps

Post by Visionless »

Hi there. I have been using z88dk somewhere around 2 or 3 weeks now, and I finally decided to make an account here to try and document my issues. The first of which is that the "-create-app" option does not create usable apps at all. I have tried a ton of different things, and I can not get it to work. In fact, the appmake tool itself seems to be nonfunctional because even if I try to make an app for the TI-84+ from the generated BIN file, the app that it creates is also broken.

It was a trial-and-error experience for me, but I finally came across binpac8x. It is the only tool that has worked for me this far; every single other tool has failed to produce a working .8xp file. If any Windows (or WINE) users want to give it a try without needing Python installed, I used cx_Freeze to make an executable.
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

Thank you very much for your feedback.
We had long lasting discussions in the past about the right format for a recent TI calculator (well, by recent I'm referring to TI83 Plus, Ti84, etc..).
My opinion is that the binary format varies depending on both the specific calculator model and the transfer tool you are using.
It is a valuable hint.. I hope I find some time to integrate this tool into appmake, it could be chosen alternatively by setting a different 'subtype'... just to be sure, are you using the current z88dk developement version or a package ?
Visionless

Post by Visionless »

I am using the current development version. I have only used Windows for my tests, but I have used both the precompiled nightly builds and my own builds made with MinGW and MSYS2. They both seem to perform the same. When I build it, I do not use a custom CFLAGS variable because when I tried that, it just caused build failures (which is documented in build.sh in a comment).