[www] Server finally moved

New features and project activity between releases
dom
Well known member

[www] Server finally moved

Post by dom »

After several successful years of procrastination I received another bill for the hosting for the old server this nudged the amount I've paid over the past 8 years to about £3k. Money which is probably better spent on buying new hardware to support, or food.

Enough, is enough. So I've spent quite a lot of time over the past week setting up a cheaper replacement and upgrading through multiple forum software/versions to here - I think most of the posts have come across: I can see some of the nightly emails and commit messages have got lost along the way but I don't think that's too much of concern.

[edit]Missing posts are from the mailing lists where there was no match between the list username and a forum username. I'm going to figure out a way to reimport them. - 2020-10-10: Missing posts re-imported, everything should now be present.

If you have an account you should be able to login with your old password - they were automatically converted. To login you'll need to reset your password since it seems that they weren't migrated.

As a note, I've temporarily disabled registration after this initial migration until I get the right magic to deter the spambots. 2020-10-06: Open again, lets see how it goes

Some things will be broken of course, let me know and I'll endeavour to fix them.
derekfountain

Re: [www] Server finally moved

Post by derekfountain »

My old password didn't work, I needed to do a reset. Which worked. :)
Timmy
Well known member

Post by Timmy »

My old password didn't work either, but I also had a reset done before I could log in. Perhaps that was the idea.
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

It probably worked for me because I had to login through the 3 forum migrations to get to here (punbb 1.2 -> punbb 1.4 -> phpbb 3.0 -> phpbb 3.3) so at some point my password was converted.

Apologies for the initial misinformation, but thanks for testing the password reset!
RobertK
Well known member

Post by RobertK »

I have noticed that the Search function of this forum currently only finds results from the newly created topics.

I have no experience with such forum software, but can you maybe start an indexing run over the old topics so that these can be searched as well?
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

RobertK wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:32 am I have noticed that the Search function of this forum currently only finds results from the newly created topics.

I have no experience with such forum software, but can you maybe start an indexing run over the old topics so that these can be searched as well?
Thank you! Good spot! I've now indexed the old posts and search should now be working.