64-bits compiled version of z88dk

Installing on windows
fraespre

64-bits compiled version of z88dk

Post by fraespre »

hi everyone,

I write here to ask about the possibility to have a 64-bits compiled version for Windows.
It's possible ? is there any problem in the dependecies?

thanks in advanced,
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

I though it was, but it seems not!

I don't have a particular preference regarding 32/64 on Windows. I'm guessing that most people have moved on from XP so we switch easily enough - we've been building zsdcc in 64 bit mode for at least 18 months.

I've just done a test build in 64 bit and everything seems to be ok so I'll switch over - let me know how the nightly works for you.
fraespre

Post by fraespre »

Hi dom

Until now I did not care if the windows version of z88dk was 32 or 64. But recently I have tried the tup tool (http://gittup.org/tup/) , used to parallelize compilations and to cache results.

However, in my tests I found a bug where, using 32-based applications (as the zcc.exe), it is not able to detect changes over the modified sources. You can find more detail in this issue: https://github.com/gittup/tup/issues/401

And I think it may be one more reason to have the 64 version available :-D

kind regards,
Timmy
Well known member

Post by Timmy »

I'd suggest you to make a note somewhere that the last versions of the 32-bit is at the beginning of July 2020.

And perhaps it's time to make a final official dot version for that 32 bit version, if we are retiring the 32 bit version.

Are we retiring the 32-bit version, by the way?
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

Normally I wouldn't be quite so gungho about it. However, the zsdcc build has been 64 bit for over a year and I've not seen any issues being raised about it.

From this one of the following is I suppose true?

- There are no 32 bit windows users
- 32 bit windows users don't use zsdcc

I'd rather not turn on 32 bit builds again - for both disc space and time reasons - but will do if there's demand.

I will however drop a note in the activity forum so there's a record of it.