[Z88dk-users] Error report gets() @ ZX81

Bridge to the z88dk-users mailing list
siggi
Well known member

[Z88dk-users] Error report gets() @ ZX81

Post by siggi »

I wanted to report an error and were forwarded to GITHUB to create it there.
But I need to create an account there to enter there a new error report.
I want to share the error information, but I don't want to share additional personal information neither with GITHUB nor with the data sink (we have in German the less kinds words "Datenkrake" or "Datenfresser", but I don't know the English equivalent) Microsoft.
So I post the error report here.

I tried to compile my old USB filemanager using the current nightly build. But now the function "gets()" fails at ZX81.
This is part of the code to save a file on USB stick

Code: Select all

if (!*name)
{
printk("name= ");
gets(name);
}
if (*name)
This code asks for a name, if it is not given. Then it reads it using gets(). If the name is then "" (empty), the SAVE command is aborted.

The old compiler dated 15/Dec/2015 gives that behaviour of gets:
a cursor "_" (a ZX81 graphic symbol) is written to screen. If a character is entered, it is inserted before the cursor, which moves right.
If I use backspace, the char before the cursor is deleted and the cursor moves left. If I have deleted all chars and press return, an empty string is in name and the SAVE command is aborted. That is the expected behaviour.

Now the buggy behaviour is:
a cursor 'E' is written to screen. If a character is entered, the cursor is overwritten and never occurs again. When I delete all entered characters to get an empty name string, the string "L" is stored in name. Thus the command is not aborted and a file "L.P" is stored on USB stick.

Siggi

PS: 2nd attempt

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

I tried to compile my old USB filemanager using the current nightly build. But now the function "gets()" fails at ZX81.
This is part of the code to save a file on USB stick

Code: Select all

if (!*name)
{
printk("name= ");
gets(name);
}
if (*name)
This code asks for a name, if it is not given. Then it reads it using gets(). If the name is then "" (empty), the SAVE command is aborted.
That was me back in February, I tried to remove duplication (we had two routines reading a string from the console). It looks like I removed the cursor and additionally gets() returned the newline character as well. I've just repaired the behaviour and the next build should work as you expect.

dom

siggi
Well known member

Post by siggi »

Problem is solved, cursor is back again :)
Thanks
Siggi