Simple print string at screen location?

ZX80, ZX 81, ZX Spectrum, TS2068 and other clones
derekfountain

Simple print string at screen location?

Post by derekfountain »

I need to print a simple string, at a given screen location (char cells, no need for pixel precision). I don't need colours and I certainly don't need stdio features. The ROM character set would do, although my own would be nicer. 48K only, and using the ROM would be fine.

Do we have a way to do that? SDCC and newlib ideally, I can probably port something from classic if I need to.
nuc1e0n

Re: Simple print string at screen location?

Post by nuc1e0n »

According to the info at https://github.com/z88dk/z88dk/wiki/Pla ... X-Spectrum you can use the spectrum's own 'print char' routine (rst 16) to print a sting, using this command line option:

Code: Select all

-pragma-redirect:fputc_cons=fputc_cons_rom_rst
The cursor location where printing occurs can be changed by printing cursor control characters first (https://github.com/z88dk/z88dk/wiki/Pla ... ole-driver). These special characters don't appear on the screen but instead control the console.

Then you can use fputs("your string here", stdout) to print your string. If you want to go more low level you can call fputc_cons in a loop, something like this:

Code: Select all

char* str = "your string";
int i =0, j = strlen(str);

for(; i< j; i++){
	fputc_cons(str[i]);
}
fputc_cons is a z88dk specific function that always prints to the console, however that's done for the platform you're compiling for.
nuc1e0n

Post by nuc1e0n »

Forgot to mention, I think the 'move the cursor' control character is 0x16.
Timmy
Well known member

Post by Timmy »

I remember when I was writing a demo game in z88dk and I couldn't find a function for it, so I wrote a quick and dirty one in assembly.

https://worldofspectrum.org/forums/disc ... ent_970049

(For 1 character only, but there's a string version that used this function a few posts under it.)

Yes, it's a bit strange that z88dk do offer the address calculation functions but there was no print function to use them.
nuc1e0n

Post by nuc1e0n »

That does seems strange. I guess there must be some reason for their existence.

I thought maybe as the default fputc_cons on the zx spectrum target does write to screen memory directly (https://github.com/z88dk/z88dk/blob/mas ... c_cons.asm) maybe these functions would've been used internally by it. However, that function contains it's own separate means of calculating the memory address of the screen to use (calc_screen_address).
derekfountain

Post by derekfountain »

Thanks guys. The fputc thing appears to be classic lib? fputs works on newlib but requires stdio. I think, anyway. It all gets a bit confusing when you start digging down. :)

A 'C' version of Timmy's "poke the char bytes into the screen" code is as much as I need, so I'll probably go with that. Or maybe a quick interface to the RST16 routine. I was more concerned that there was a simple function in the newlib which I was missing. Seems there isn't!
nuc1e0n

Post by nuc1e0n »

Fair enough. Glad you've got what you need :)
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

If you use e.g. the direct fputc_cons(c) call, it could require declaring 'stdio' or similar. BTW it does not mean that the whole STDIO related functions will be linked in !
derekfountain

Post by derekfountain »

stefano wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:14 pm If you use e.g. the direct fputc_cons(c) call, it could require declaring 'stdio' or similar. BTW it does not mean that the whole STDIO related functions will be linked in !
What would be linked in?

That function/macro doesn't seem to appear in the newlib headers. Does it work in a way I don't understand, or is it classic only?
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

I thought I'd written something on this thread but it appears not.

newlib does have a rst16 driver, but it's hidden behind layers of stdio so isn't user accessible.

classic has the conio layer (of which fputc_cons is one piece) which allows driving of the screen without all the (usual unnecessary) gunk of stdio

To add to the fun/confusion, sp1 (which is in both classic and newlib) has its own set of functions to write to the screen.
nuc1e0n

Post by nuc1e0n »

My personal view is that if a minimal output binary size is desired, using the classic lib and the rst16 version of fputc_cons would be the way to go. Any rst16 'hand- rolled' wrapper of would still need to do the same things anyhow. Using the classic lib, functions are only pulled into the output binary if they are used. This can be confirmed by generating a .map file at compile time and inspecting its contents to see the symbols that were used.

Of course, folks can do whatever they want right? There's many different options available.
derekfountain

Post by derekfountain »

Yes, but I settled on zsdcc and newlib several years ago and all my games and tutorials are based on that combination. It is a bit frustrating when I come across something simple which is in the other part of z88dk but which I can't use!
nuc1e0n

Post by nuc1e0n »

That's fine too of course. Stick with what you prefer.

@dom, I wonder whether fputc_cons, fgetc_cons and getk could be made available when using newlib? Or are they already available somehow?
rothers

Post by rothers »

Hi,

Sorry for grave digging, but I wrote a drag and drop routine for this, just copy this in to your code and write: 'printc(10,10,"hello");

That simple, hope it helps:

int * getASCIIValue(char *array) {
int i, ascii;
int result[100];
for(i=0; array; i++) {
ascii = (int)array;
result = ascii;
}
return result;
}

void printc(unsigned char x, unsigned char y, char text[])
{
int *arr = getASCIIValue(text);
unsigned char *p, *dat;
unsigned char i;
unsigned char jj;
for(jj=0; text[jj]; jj++) {
dat = 15360 + arr[jj]*8; // points into the rom character set
p = zx_cxy2saddr(x, y);

for (i = 0; i < 8; ++i)
{
*p = *dat++;
p += 256;
}
x++;
}}
rothers

Post by rothers »

I can't edit posts but note that the 'result[100]' will need to be increased to suit if you're printing a screen of text, ie result[200] or more.

Also you might think you can optimise this to be a little more simple, not including the result array at all, but the compiler did some weird things when you don't copy it to another array, it would 'remember' the previous text and sometimes overflow. Maybe a typo by me, or my C knowledge is lacking. The above fixed it, and I've left it alone because it works 100%.