(Classic) New target: Bondwell Model 2

stefano
Well known member

(Classic) New target: Bondwell Model 2

Post by stefano »

As discussed already this one could require a bit of extra protection when the BDOS calls are used, because of its BIOS corrupting the IX register.

This late CP/M system was a portable machine using 3 inches floppy drives and high resolution graphics, "-subtype=bw2" should now add support for both.
bw2_coswave.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RobertK
Well known member

Re: (Classic) New target: Bondwell Model 2

Post by RobertK »

Thanks for this very interesting new target, everything seems to be fully working already. I have updated all my three programs and they now support the Bondwell 2.

As with the Bondwell 12/14, it would be nice if the cursor could be hidden somehow. Here it follows the gotoxy() position, so we can use the workaround to position the cursor to a corner of the screen.

The Bondwell 12/14 directory problem is present here as well, but only on the MastermindRK disk.
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

that directory problem. I never could reproduce it on my tests :)
but the idea of extending the directory range worked once already, I'd give it a try.
The cursor: I'll have a look. This target deserves full console extras, it should be great with both custom conio stuff, redefinable fonts and ansi shrinked fonts, attributes, etc..
But I'll leave that for the future, or.. Dom :P
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

I thought I did extend the directory for the Bondwell2 at the same time as the 12/14? It's an odd one to reproduce, since it's printing parts of the binary which have to be aligned properly and have the right content for dir to think it's a directory entry.

I'm currently getting the Radio86RK up and running. Given the hardware variations that will be a firmware based one.

I'll take a look at this one after that - it should be fairly easy to get up and running with features.

I can see the msm6255 has a cursor control register so toggling that should be possible.
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

The BW2 never enters in text mode.

The cursor was just some dirt I left by relying on BDOS to clear the screen (now fixed).
bw2_star.png

It would be nice to experiment a bit with the msm6255, but I'm afraid its emulation is not complete, and/or the way it was wired on the Bondwell 2 is a customized one.
I set up a placeholder for the new CRTC, but I only tried to blank/unblank the LCD.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

I do love making everything look like a Spectrum...
Bondwell2 GenCon
I'm not happy with the way we shift the VRAM which seems to break the return to CP/M?

I've got an idea to handle the BDOS/ix issue so I'll sort that out at the same time.
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

Very nice!

edit: I'm also noticing the frame around the emulator, different platforms focused on the same target :D
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

Confirming the value of 128 for the directory entries, I found this post referring to the Osborne disk format:

>My "Jugg'ler 128" (Commodore 128 program) says:
>
>Sectors: 18 x 256
>Disk Space: 344k
>Directory Entries: 128

Not quite what I had in my local cpmtools copy.
RobertK
Well known member

Post by RobertK »

Thanks for the Generic Console. I have noticed that IOCTL_GENCON_GET_CAPS returns 31 (decimal), meaning: no bold printing (although your screenshot above has bold text in it), and FG & BG colour are available (but they are not, setting any colour has no effect).

Speaking of colours: would it be possible to get inverse (white on black) high-res graphics? Maybe by doing...

Code: Select all

textcolor(WHITE);
textbackground(BLACK);
...(which currently has no effect)? DARKGRAY and LIGHTGRAY could also be mapped to "white".

BTW, I can confirm that the disk directory issue is fixed now, thanks.
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

Support for stencils needed to be hardened, now the fix is ready.
The stencil.c demo is now working and runs reasonably fast.
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

Dom, what am I supposed to do to enable the ANSI terminal support here ?
-clib=ansi does not seem to be the way:

Error at file 'c:/z88dk/lib/../lib/crt/classic/crt_runtime_selection.asm' line 333: symbol 'fputc_cons_ansi' not defined
^ ---- defc fputc_cons = fputc_cons_ansi
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

I don't think the CP/M library contains the ANSI driver - just in case the bdos implements vt100 codes itself.

So, you'll need to add @stdio/ansicore.lst to target/bondwell2/bw.lst and compile/add to crt0: -pragma-define:CLIB_ANSITERMINAL_BRIDGE=1 to bridge it over to the generic-console renderer.