SP1: Print text outside the game sp1_Rect

ZX80, ZX 81, ZX Spectrum, TS2068 and other clones
amateus

SP1: Print text outside the game sp1_Rect

Post by amateus »

Hi,

The idea is to have the action on a smaller sp1_Rect and text printed outside, for lifes, scores, etc

Is it possible to print outside the usual sp1_Rect defined for SP1 with a SP1 function, or do we need to use printf or a lib like fzx for example?

Better yet, what is the standard way to print score and lifes, or other messages in or out the game area?

Thank you.
Timmy
Well known member

Re: SP1: Print text outside the game sp1_Rect

Post by Timmy »

I've already replied this on https://worldofspectrum.org/forums/disc ... e-sp1-rect but probably easier to copy and paste it here too.

Yes.

If I remember correctly, the default build for SP1 is for the whole screen (which I'm almost sure you use that). So you can use all the sp1 commands for the whole screen.

They don't show up because, as you probably know, these changes are not happening in your sp1_Rect.

But you can have more than one sp1_Rect, of course, like in this snippet from one of my games:

Code: Select all

// Clipping Rectangle for Sprites
struct sp1_Rect cliprect    = {2, 2, 28, 20};             // main game part
struct sp1_Rect clipscreen  = {0, 0, 32, 24};             // full screen
struct sp1_Rect specialrect = {3, 3,  2,  2};            
struct sp1_Rect miscrect    = {0, 2, 28,  2};
struct sp1_Rect bonusrect   = {8, 18, 9,  8}; // format is y,x,w,h!
The sp1_Rect is meant to clip your sprites and define the area you want it to update, so you can have more of them.

In the above code you can see that the misc rect is defined above the main cliprect. When I want to update the scores only in miscrect, I just draw there using the usual sp1 commands, and then invalidate that window to make it shown on screen. If you want to use additional windows, remember not to put any sprites in those areas! If you do, they will show up on screen.
amateus

Post by amateus »

Hi,

Thanks, I think I got it: sp1_UpdateNow();updates *all* the rects that were invalidate, correct?

Regards,
António

PS: I'll stop writing both here and in wos from now on and keep the thread here :P
Timmy
Well known member

Post by Timmy »

amateus wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:33 pm Thanks, I think I got it: sp1_UpdateNow();updates *all* the rects that were invalidate, correct?
I think it is (not 100% sure). :)
PS: I'll stop writing both here and in wos from now on and keep the thread here :P
I'm more often on wos but I try to read here every week. This question was better answered here because it's about z88dk/sp1.