LPRINT on ZX81?

ZX80, ZX 81, ZX Spectrum, TS2068 and other clones
siggi
Well known member

Post by siggi »

Hi Stefano
I played around with zx_hardcopy() in standard text mode. It seems, that it calls directly the rom rountine (which saves space). Correct?
The current behavoir is:
- 22 text lines are lprinted (like in BASIC), but the C program can use AFAIK all 24 screen lines. Thus the 2 last lines are missing.
- BREAK within the hardcopy-routine cancels printing AND terminates the C program (returns to BASIC)!

Siggi
siggi
Well known member

Post by siggi »

Hi Stefano
using the ROM code for a text hardcopy make sense, where program size matters (like in my UFM I am currently enhancing). But maybe you could add the option for another text hardcopy routine, which fits better to the environment of a C program?

Siggi
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

before adding further options: could you try by including -lgfx81udg? it should do what you are asking for being also able to print alternate character sets (it should also work with the kempston and quicksilva interfaces). I'm fixin the row limit on gfx81udg right now, thank you for pointing it out: my own comments in the zx81 rom disassembly fooled me ($16 is 22, not 24!)
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

For the record the error about the ZX printer lines comment is on the wide spread ZX81 disassembly, not on my copy only :)
I completed the missing comments in a portion of the ZX Spectrum ROM disassembly basing on the information I now have, I wonder if this can be of some interest.
siggi
Well known member

Post by siggi »

Hi Stefano
hardcopy using UDG (-lgfx81udg) also prints only 22 lines, but BREAK does not terminate the C program, only printing. But then the program is 100 bytes bigger ...

Siggi
siggi
Well known member

Post by siggi »

Hi Stefano
could you please also fix the bug in zx_lprintc (twice ASCII conversion of CR/LF, see postings before)?

Siggi
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

ok, it is the next in my list together with the 8 graphics rows buffer dump to printer
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

arx816 mode is now ready, all the graphics modes are now covered!
siggi
Well known member

Post by siggi »

I also found, that zx_lprintc() crashes the Zeddy (gets into endless loop), when more than 32 chars are lprinted (which leads normally to automatic printing of the printer buffer content after 32 chars and then to buffering of the following charaters).

Siggi
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

I'm working on it
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

The problems on the NEWLINE character should now be fixed (pls wait for the next 'nightly build').
I wasn't able to reproduce the other problem you mentioned (printing more than 32 characters), it worked correctly in my tests.
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

On adding colums to the ZX PRINTER output, we have few different choices.
We can be flexible on fonts avoiding the ZX81 character set conversion and keeping a parameter to choose the font and its size, otherwise we can squeeze a 4 bit font in ZX81 format (uppercase only etc..) which would save memory. We can also think at a proportional font.

..what would you prefer ?
siggi
Well known member

Post by siggi »

Hi Stefano
I think, the printer should be able to print what is visible on screen. Thus IMHO a proportional font is (currently ;-) not necessary.
I should be possible to print 64 chars/line, like ANSI mode does on screen(same font).

Do you know ZEDIT? The first ZX81 ASCII/Unicode text editor (supports also Zeddy-font and German special characters).
I would be happy, if I could print such a text document WYSIWYG ...

http://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/viewt ... f=2&t=2270

Latest version there:
http://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/viewt ... =25#p32459

Siggi
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

impressive. An interesting quick way could be to write a non optimized program in c printing the text picking it at 8000h using the same Unicode font provided by zedit, but I have the impression that the horizontal resolution is more than 256 pixels.. it seems to me it is using a 6 bit font on 47 colums or so.. need to check better, though.
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

I'm quite sure it has about 48 columns and a 6 bit font, thus 288 horizontal pixels the zx printer can't, in my knowledge surpass the 255 bytes limit. .. but we could try to write some test program and see what happens adding few extra pixels !

more probably all we can do is to use a smaller font or handle the wordwrap with less columns
siggi
Well known member

Post by siggi »

Hi Stefano
maybe some printers would allow to print more pixels: the SEIKOSHA GP50S hardware is AFAIK designed for 40 chars/line,but I don't know, whether its software will support that. And my Alphacom has equal white borders left and right of the text, so it seems not to support more than the Sinclair printer. So I think, more pixels should not be used.

Pokemon wrote about the resolution on screen:
48 Zeichen / 20 Zeilen im normalen Modus
72 Zeichen / 30 Zeilen im Zoom Modus
Siggi
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

Considering all the limits I chose to try with a 5 pixel wide font, it will provide 51 columns.
By slightly optimizing the font data is 441 bytes for the standard zx81 characters only (no lowercase etc), plus a 256 bytes buffer for the graphics printing (I can make it temporary by moving it on the stack) and the actual code.
It is possible to choose another font (can you ask about the expected encoding? is it true 16 bit unicode or compressed to a single byte ?) so a printing tool for the 48 columns mode will still be feasible.
siggi
Well known member

Post by siggi »

Hi Stefano
I would prefer a temporary printer buffer on stack (speed is not critical during LPRINT).

I asked Olli about the text/font used in ZEDIT (partly also programmed in C/Z88DK).

Siggi
siggi
Well known member

Post by siggi »

Hi Stefano
Olli sent a reply to my question. Here is what he wrote:
The text is UTF-8 unicode, so all ASCII chars are still normal bytes, and all unicode chars >127 are multi-byte, as prescribed by the UTF-8 standard. Zeditor allows the number of characters per line to be set by the user, it is just that the display limits are 36/72 chars depending on the zoom mode. So the user cold adapt to whatever the printer provides. The ZX graphics characters are translated to the corresponding unicode characters, at least for those that have a corresponding unicode symbol. Ctrl-Z or Nul marks the end of the text.
Hope that helps. If there are more questions: ...
Siggi
siggi
Well known member

Post by siggi »

Hi Stefano
here some infos, about Unicode chars, that ZEDIT supports:
- the ZX81 block graphics: https://unicode-table.com/en/blocks/block-elements/
- German special characters (??, ??, ??, ? (lower and uppercase)): https://unicode-table.com/en/blocks/latin-1-supplement/

Here some pictures:
http://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/downl ... hp?id=5696
http://forum.tlienhard.com/phpBB3/downl ... hp?id=6794

Siggi
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

Ok, I have a prototype ready, zx _lprintc5 .. it should be available after the next nightly.
At the moment the buffer is statically linked in and there is still a problem with the horizontal chr shifting but it gives a rough idea.
The font is slightly compacted (I could have done it better) and should act the same of zx_lprintc.

let me know your opinion ;)
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

siggi
Well known member

Post by siggi »

Looks nice also on my real printer :-)
Only chars "Y" and "V" look a little bit strange.

Have you also tried the font of the 64 chars/line of the ANSI Hires mode?
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

Please share the picture, I can fix the font.
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

on the 64 columns mode, you can test the output quality already, by calling zx_hardcopy in wrx mode.. I'm not expecting differences.
lprintc5 is not as flexible as the ansi driver, I used the sprite skeleton which sounded easier and better to optimize the code and font size. There's also a gain in speed, even if it was just nice to have.
the buffer could be hardcoded at a fixed position in high memory but can't be volatile.
An easy to get extra (at almost no cost) is a blank row between the text lines. . can I add it?