Problem with ESXDOS and CSpect

ZX80, ZX 81, ZX Spectrum, TS2068 and other clones
Stefan123

Problem with ESXDOS and CSpect

Post by Stefan123 »

Version 0.4 of the Spectrum Next emulator CSpect is supposed to accept '*' and '$' for setting the current drive, in line with the ESXDOS integration in Z88DK. However, I haven't been able to successfully open and read a file via esxdos.h in CSpect 0.4. Alvin, have you had the time to test with CSpect 0.4?

By the way, I just saw that Mike has released v0.5 of CSpect with support for even more Next-specific Z80 instructions, see https://dailly.blogspot.se/2017/08/cspect-v05.html for more info. He must be on very good terms with the Next team to have this kind of insider knowledge ;)
alvin
Well known member

Post by alvin »

Stefan123 wrote:Version 0.4 of the Spectrum Next emulator CSpect is supposed to accept '*' and '$' for setting the current drive, in line with the ESXDOS integration in Z88DK. However, I haven't been able to successfully open and read a file via esxdos.h in CSpect 0.4. Alvin, have you had the time to test with CSpect 0.4?
No I haven't been testing on CSpect much because a lot is missing from its esxdos support. Reading files is supposed to be ok - I'll give it a try on 0.5.
By the way, I just saw that Mike has released v0.5 of CSpect with support for even more Next-specific Z80 instructions, see https://dailly.blogspot.se/2017/08/cspect-v05.html for more info. He must be on very good terms with the Next team to have this kind of insider knowledge ;)
Yeah I think Jim uses it :)
alvin
Well known member

Post by alvin »

It reads like he may be misunderstanding * and $
Loading files from RST $08 require the drive to be set (or gotten) properly - as per actual machines.
RST $08/$89 will return the drive needed.
Please see the example filesystem.asm for this.
You can also pass in '*' or '$' to set the current drive to be system or default
Stefan123

Post by Stefan123 »

Alvin, can you inform Mike of this? With your ESXDOS knowledge, I think you are more qualified to describe the problem. If you don't have time, I can of course contact him.
alvin
Well known member

Post by alvin »

Yes when I get a chance I'll knock up a simple test and let Mike know if it's not working.
alvin
Well known member

Post by alvin »

My test program now works on CSpect 0.6, give that a try
Stefan123

Post by Stefan123 »

Now it works like a charm, thanks :)