(classic) New target: Homelab 3/4

Discussion about other targets
dom
Well known member

(classic) New target: Homelab 3/4

Post by dom »

I've just added another simple target, the Homelab 3/4.

This Hungarian Z80 (genuine?) machine has either 16 or 64k of RAM and a 64x32 b&w character mapped display. Curiously, the inbuilt font has support for both 2x2 and 2x3 block graphics however since the font is 8x8 I've chosen to support 2x2 to avoid weird size distortions.

Interestingly, some of the software available supplies a chargen file to replace the default one. I don't know how common this was, but should the limited character set prove too restrictive then the Homelab emulator supports custom character ROMs.

The machine is pretty simple so in terms of support there's:

* Generic console
* Lores plotting (128x64 resolution)
* Inkey keyboard

The wiki page is here: https://github.com/z88dk/z88dk/wiki/Platform---Homelab

The earlier Homelab 2 has a few hardware differences and isn't supported yet.
RobertK
Well known member

Post by RobertK »

Thanks, I have updated all my three programs, in MAME everything works fine on the Homelab 3 and 4.

For some reason, I can't get the programs to work with the HoLa! HomeLab emulator. When I enter CALL $4300 after quickloading, only vertical bars appear.

P.S. Off-topic: the TRS M100 wiki page is still missing, the link on the platforms page points to nowhere.
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

I?ve not tried HoLa, I was using this one: http://gaia.atilia.eu/downloads/

I don?t think Stefano has got around to writing the m100 page yet - he?s still working on the code as far as I know.
RobertK
Well known member

Post by RobertK »

Ok, I found out that HoLa! was just an older version (from 2007) of the current Homelab emulator.

However, with Homelab1.2.zip I still couldn't run my compiled programs. I hope they will run on real hardware...

No problem about the M100 target, I just thought it could have been a broken link.
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

M100 work is in progress. I think I must apologise, the past flu left me a bit fuzzy and I'm still slow and approximate :)
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

Regarding problems on the Homelab emulator - this is due to the memory configuration of the machine and where the stack ends up being located. By default the port doesn't change the stack since I'm not sure of the best way to detect how much memory the machine has.

So, the options are:

1. Change the memory to 16k
2. Add -pragma-define:REGISTER_SP=0x8000 to the command line
RobertK
Well known member

Post by RobertK »

Thanks, with the second option it works in the Homelab emulator with all memory configurations, and it still works in Mame too.

Just mention that compile parameter briefly on the wiki page.

P.S. If you want, you can add 32 column mode to the ToDo list. In the Homelab emulator go to Opci?k -> "32 ?", then a reset is required. Currently, console output does not work correctly in 32 column mode.