Nascom

Discussion about other targets
RobertK
Well known member

Nascom

Post by RobertK »

Nascom discussion continued here:
dom wrote:I've had a look at the Nascom and can see the following:

- Printing text is really fast (it pretty much just appears)
- Demo mode Htron is a little sluggish

I've changed the graphics handling to go via gencon rather than have a separate bit of code and graphics appear to be a little faster - the demo mode is now a bit more fluid. The fact that the target is a 3x2 in each character block does make things a bit slower than than the 2x2 targets, but the display routine is so simple that it should make up for it!

However, by the sounds of things I don't think what I'm seeing is representative of the experience that you're seeing - it seems like the emulators (or builds of) both of you are using are significantly slower than one I'm using.

It's probably time for video clips to see if there is a difference!
What emulator are you using? I'm using VNASCOM in DOSBox, and I don't notice any difference with the new nightly. The speed of H-Tron's 1-player-mode is still only about 2 FPS, and demo mode about 1 FPS.

Is there a way to load a .nas file into MAME?

I forgot to mention that not only plotting is costly, but also the "ray tracing" that needs to be done for the computer player's AI using the point() function. And this is why the 1-player-mode and especially the demo mode run much slower.
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

I'm using virtual-nascom (https://github.com/tommythorn/virtual-nascom) on a Mac. I believe Stefano did a Windows build of it that's around somewhere

Here's what I see: http://nightly.z88dk.org/misc/videos/htron.mov which I think is much faster than you're seeing?
RobertK
Well known member

Post by RobertK »

Very interesting, with VNascom under DOS it runs ridiculously slow.

With Stefano's Windows 7 version of Virtual Nascom (see here -> virtual_nascom-20.zip) it runs at decent speed.

I haven't checked all the ReadMe files yet, but how can we know what speed is correct?

The best would be to find a Nascom owner to try it on real hardware...
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

My hunch would be that vnascom isn't adjusting the emulation speed correctly for the change in CPUs since 2008 when it was released.

I'm currently experimenting with Mame and it feels to be the same speed as the virtual-nascom. However, I've not managed to figure out a way to load .nas files into it yet which is a little frustrating but should we be able to load files, it could validate one of the other datapoint.
dom
Well known member

Post by dom »

With dosbox I can see how sluggish vnascom is now. Even "turbo" mode doesn't seem to help. I admire your patience in doing as much with it as you did!

On the otherhand, running vnascom has allowed me to test the +cpm/nascom disk format and it seems to work. This doesn't work in Mame - even the system disc reports BDOS errors on nonsensical track numbers.