TEXT variant of the VT-ANSI engine resumed

ZX80, ZX 81, ZX Spectrum, TS2068 and other clones
stefano
Well known member

TEXT variant of the VT-ANSI engine resumed

Post by stefano »

A recent discussion on simple portable games based on a variant of the non-standard "conio" library brought me to add few custom functions plugged in the VT-ANSI engine permitting to avoid the ESCape sequences and printf which can be useful to save memory and gain speed.
The interesting improvements are for the MSX world (we now have a 100% equivalent of the ZX Spectrum driver), by the way at a very low cost I also resumed the original TEXT based VT emulation variant for the ZX80, ZX81 and Lambda.

Not much to say, it is monochrome with a fixed resolution of 32x24 and can be enabled with the "-pragma-need=ansiterminal" directive. When compiling for the ZX81 and the Lambda 8300 you need also to link the low-rez graphics library (gfx81.lib / gfxlambda.lib).
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

While tuning the zx81 ansi engine I finally completed the hidden graphics variants picking the ROM font to save up to 750 bytes.
I am emulating the uppercase characters by shifting them vertically and printing them twice. Underlined, inverse and bold text are much better.. but the overall result is very interesting, all the column resolutions between 24 and 42 are perfectly usable but 32 and 36 columns modes are the best choice .
It is a hidden variant, the gfx libraries need to be rebuilt, but now it is easier and the engine is way less limited.