Reassessing the MSX/SVI library

stefano
Well known member

Reassessing the MSX/SVI library

Post by stefano »

In 2016 we heavily modified z88dk to have sdcc aboard. The MSX libraries stopped working since then, but I think I now finished the revision/improvement :)
The update library has the extra benefit of all the MSX function coverage also for the Spectravideo SVI !
It includes also the 32 text column modes, I've been so lucky to even find a way to enter in the so called 'mangled mode' (setting char and its specific color attributes with a single vpoke).
A SVI specific makefile is now available to build the examples.
sdcc works on a minimal number of programs, but the results comparison on vpoke.c is impressive
Timmy
Well known member

Post by Timmy »

Hi, can you explain a bit more clearly about this?

Does it mean we can use sdcc now for msx and svi?

I write my own vpokes but a friend of mine told me the compiled code of my msx game (I used the old compiler for that) was a bit slow, has this changed now?

Thanks in advance. I think it's a great idea.
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

z88dk provides plenty of ready made functions now. You can pick the latest nightly build and check the example programs (only the last one is currently broken, all the rest works on svi and msx and a good part willl run also on sc3000, memotech mtx, and einstein.
the vpoke provided with z88dk uses the callee trick to speedup the parameter passing, works on all the listed targets and works already with sdcc (not all the z88dk stuff is already in working order on sdcc).
please on any doubt. . just ask!
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

I forgot to say that to switch to sdcc you just need to add ' -compiler=sdcc ' option to the zcc command