New server ideas

Other misc things
dom
Well known member

New server ideas

Post by dom »

Stretching the idea of misc slightly...

I'm in the market for a new 1u server, dougal (the current server) is getting a bit long in the tooth and seems to be suffering from some syndrome where it just powers down for a while (you may have noticed it from time to time!)

Currently dougal is a Sunfire V120 that I acquired as surplus stock, I get cheap-ish hosting (for London) since it's got low power requirements - it probably peaks at about 85W and is normally about 65W or so.

Any replacement has have a similar level of power consumption (i.e. less than 0.5A), be 1u, be shallow i.e. 18" max depth. A way of interacting with the bootloader and powercycling remotely would be very useful. I'd like to use 2.5" drives, so two 3.5" bays is probably a minimum.

I'm thinking along the lines of a core2 mobile chip simply for the lower power usage - I don't plan to upgrade for a good few years, and I'm not confident that an C3/C7 will cope with whatever else I dump on the server.

So any advice/ideas?
stefano
Well known member

Post by stefano »

Dom,
I found a good place for a machine we'd want to attach on the net and perhaps even a hardware (or a virtual linux space) for free here in Turin.
I think we'd be able to leave you full access to it.
Which is the CPU/Disk power you need ? The power consumption is a minor problem.
What about a two-sites fault tolerant architecture ? ;o)